Private School Soccer Team Finishes Strong
Canyonville Christian Academy’s soccer team had an exciting end to their season! After having several players graduate last year, the team had some reassessing and rebuilding to do to start out their new season.
Several new students tried out for the team. And Canyonville Christian Academy had a new head coach, Carl Simpson.
Coach Simpson quickly brought the team of diverse cultures together. Players were integrated into their positions and after a few games the students began to learn how to play together as a team.
This year Canyonville Christian Academy’s soccer team showed great dedication and teamwork. They worked hard and played hard to the very end. The team scored 20 goals against their opponents and won their last three games of the season. Canyonville Christian Academy beat the #1 ranked team in their division (4-1) and shut out the #2 ranked team (1-0).
“It’s not how you start the race but how you finish, and this year we finished strong. I am very proud of this team. It took some time to find our stride, but we finished the season playing very hard and winning our last three games. Two of those wins coming from the first and second place teams in our league. It was an honor to coach this team and build relationship with them. They are an amazing group of young men.” – Coach Simpson
Coach Simpson with his team captains: Gabriel Martin & Ivan Sandrali. These young men are strong leaders on and off the field. Gabriel has played on Canyonville Christian Academy’s soccer team for three years and is from Colombia. Ivan is from Rwanda and has played with CCA for all four years of high school.
Canyonville Christian Academy’s soccer coaches and their amazing Senior players. These students are from Colombia, Rwanda, Russia, South Korea, and Vietnam. They will be greatly missed next season!
- Jeremie Munyakazi led the team in scoring with 9 goals.
- Dan Mugisha and Sebastion Fajardo tied for second with 4 goals each.
- Oscar Gutierrez scored 2 goals & Gabriel Martin scored 1 goal.
- Ivan Sandrali was the team’s MVP on defense.
- Calob Reimer was CCA’s goalie with 56 saves and 2 shutouts. He is also the team’s Most Improved Player of the Year.
- CCA’s soccer team had three first team selections this year: Gabriel Martin, Ivan Sandrali, and Jeremie Munyakazi.
- They also had one honorable mention: Dan Mugisha
March 18, 2021
February 10, 2021
April 8, 2020